Location: Cordele, Georgia
Email: Email Me
Kimberly is a native of Buena Vista, Georgia, where she was raised on her family's farm with her four sisters. She enjoyed growing up in a small town in South Georgia and graduated summa cum laude from Georgia Southwestern College in nearby Americus. She then attended Mercer University School of Law in Macon where she received her J.D. with honors.
Before coming to Cordele, Kimberly practiced in Albany, Georgia where she was a partner with Gardner, Willis, Sweat, & Handelman, LLP. Her primary areas of practice are government law, commercial litigation, and business law.
Kimberly has extensive experience representing counties, cities, and government authorities. She also enjoys serving as general legal counsel for small businesses. In addition, she specializes in employment law and human resources.
Kimberly is a member of the State Bar of Georgia and has received the distinguished AV Preeminent rating from Martindale Hubbell, which is the peer rating for the highest level of professional excellence.
Kimberly is also a member of the Cordele Kiwanis Club, the Board of Directors for Crisp Area Habitat for Humanity, the Board of Directors for the Cordele Crisp Chamber of Commerce, the Sumter County Chamber of Commerce, and the Dooly County Chamber of Commerce. Her husband, Jay, is a native of Dooly County, where generations of his family have farmed for more than a century.
Areas of Practice
- 60% Government Law
- 20% Business Law
- 20% General Litigation
- 25% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Georgia, 1997
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Georgia, 1999
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 2016
- Georgia Court of Appeals, 1998
- Supreme Court of Georgia, 1999
Mercer University School of Law, Macon, Georgia
J.D. magna cum laude - 1997
Honors: Chairman, Moot Court Board
Honors: The Order of the Barristers
Law Review: Mercer Law Review, Member, 1995 - 1997
Georgia Southwestern State University, Americus, Georgia
B.S. summa cum laude - 1994
Honors: President's List
Major: Political Science
- Legal Environment of Business, Albany State University, 2006 - 2013
- Contract Law, Darton College, 2012 - 2013
Honors and Awards
- Moot Court Graduate of the Year, 1997
- H.T. O'Neal Academic Scholar, 1994 - 1997
- Ryals Academic Scholar, 1994 - 1997
- Georgia Southwestern Student of the Year, 1994
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Georgia, Member, 1997 - Present
- Cordele Bar Association, Member, 2012 - Present
Past Employment Positions
- Gardner, Wills, Sweat & Handelman, LLP, Partner, 1999 - 2008
Pro Bono Activities
- Crisp Area Habitat for Humanity, Board of Directors